As we start the holidays let’s start a fun and easy project with no rules. Let’s make a mini gratitude journal. We’re going to prep the journal and bind it. Then we can take the rest of the month do doodle and document our gratitude for all the great things that the Lord has provided for us.
- Thanksgiving project printable (get yours by signing up for the newsletter at www.blessinks.com)
- 3-4 sheets of 9” x 12” watercolor/mixed media/cardstock paper (OR, any size, weight paper – 8 x 11 copy paper is fine if that is what you have.)
- Wal-Mart has Canson XL 140 lb watercolor paper for around 7.00
- Watercolors or any color medium you desire (you will be sketching on these backgrounds – acrylics would be lovely but might not allow good sketch noting – you can use crayons if that is what you have) KEY – You need to sketch on whatever background you create.
- Darning Needle and heavy string/thread to sew your journal at the spine to keep in place if you desire or stapler to staple. Your call. You could also punch holes and use rings . . . could use lightweight wire, embroidery thread – whatever you have! I used a waxed bookbinding thread. I used an awl to poke the holes, but a sharp needle will do the trick.
- Pencil for sketching letters/icons and whatever outlining pen you like to use.
Making Beautiful Backgrounds
Color all sheets of the paper on BOTH sides – watercolor would be great for this as you can see through it . . . but if you just color, great – ink is good but recommend lighter/medium colors, dyes – lighter/medium colors also. You can also use tea or coffee to stain your papers .
- Tape down all 4 edges of your paper on a hard surface. (Blue Painters tape or Frog tape is best to the paper won’t tear when removing) Wet the paper with water then add different colored dabs of we watercolor around the paper. Add more water to let the colors run together. Tilt the paper to let the colors run and play together. After the paper is dry remove the tape. Don’t let the tape sit too long or it will tear the paper.
- Paint Scrape
- Choose three colors and put a spot of each next to each other. Take an old gift card(hard plastic) and dip the card in the trio of paint. Get some paint on the card and then scrape it on your paper. Scrape in different directions and add more paint as needed, but fill up the whole page with scraped paint.
Overview: Sew/staple/rings/wire your booklet together at the spine – there are 8 letters in THANKFUL – You can chose to do the sketch letter and icons on one single page, or the sketch letter on left side and icons on the right side – you decide if you want to use all 8 9 x 6 folded sheets – you can always fill it later if pages are not used!
1. Cut the paper in half, (cut halfway through the tall side). Fold the half sheet in half folding the long side in the middle.
2. Repeat for the remaining pages.
3. Put the pages together to create a book. Play around with the placement to colors on opposite pages work together.
4. With the book open flat make marks in the middle and then 1.5 inches north and south of the middle dot.
5. Take the darning needle and poke holes through all the sheets through the dots.
6. Thread the darning needle with some thick thread like book binding thread or embroidery thread (6 stands).
7. Start in the middle and sew up and then sew down. (see video for demonstration)
10 Ways to fill up your pages
Now its up to you as to how to fill this book. This idea is to do a page every day or so, so you have it completed by the end of the month. Concentrate on things you’re thankful for.
- Bible verses on Thankfulness
- quotes on thanksgiving
- document the month by writing down something and doodling every day.
- make lists of your favorite things
- Make an acrostic out of THANKFUL
- your Thanksgiving menu
- A favorite recipe
- write about things you’re thankful for
- Write down 3 things you are thankful for on every page and draw at least one of them.
- Wreath with a verse – see this post for how to make a wreath
Bible verses on Thankfulness
2 Chronicles 5:13 The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, the singers raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: “He is good; his love endures forever.” Then the temple of the LORD was filled with the cloud,
2 Corinthians 4:15All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
2 Corinthians 9:11You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.
Jeremiah 30:19 From them will come songs of thanksgiving and the sound of rejoicing. I will add to their numbers, and they will not be decreased; I will bring them honor, and they will not be disdained.
Psalm 9:1I will give thanks to you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
Philippians 4:6-7Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Colossians 3:16-17Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.*Psalm 107:8-9Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, 9 for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
Psalm 95:2-3 Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. 3 For the LORD is the great God, the great King above all gods.
1 Corinthians 1:4-5I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5 For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge—
2 Corinthians 4:15-16All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
2 Corinthians 9:11-12 You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
Ephesians 1:15-16For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
1 Timothy 4:4-5 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
1 Chronicles 16:34Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Psalm 7:17I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the LORD Most High.
Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
Psalm 100:4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
Psalm 106:1Praise the LORD.Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
Isaiah 12:4In that day you will say: “Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Jeremiah 33:11 the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the LORD, saying, “Give thanks to the LORD Almighty, for the LORD is good; his love endures forever.” For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were before,’ says the LORD.
1 Thessalonians 5:18give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus
Join us in the Sermon Sketchnote Boss Faceboook Group so you can post pics of your journal.
Stayed tuned for next week where Eden Keefe is going to share her gratitude Junk journal.
I am an Amazon Affiliate.